2010-01-21

Whenever a form asks for your race, do what I do: write "Other"

I've been doing it for years now, and I hope you'll join me.

Yay to this, from Joanne Jacobs:
More students refuse to state race.
Boo, hiss to this:
The U.S. Department of Education wants school officials to “eyeball” students who decline to state and check a box for them, reports McClatchy. In order to identify racial/ethnic achievement gaps, “the agency is pressing schools to identify all students by race in 2010-11 or face penalties.”
The "eyeballing" business is just plain creepy. I wonder if any BCPS schools have done this.

Most institutions (schools, governments, businesses, ...) spend way to much energy analyzing problems through the lens of race. It's time to get serious about building a post-racial society.

The first step is refusing to state your race.

No comments:

Post a Comment